Happy New Year!
I know, I’m late, but I’ve been really busy and I just haven’t had time. I hope you all had a great Christmas, or Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate or even if you didn’t celebrate anything at all, I hope you had a good day filled with happiness and discount chocolates. Wait, who said that? There are typical things almost everyone says every new year. “Oh my gosh, 2017 is TOTALLY gonna be my year.” And then they say it for the next year. And the next. BUT THEY NEVER DO A DAMN THING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. You want 2017 to be your year? Here’s a list of things to help you have an epic 2017.
- REFLECT – Sounds kinda easy, but reflection is one of the best methods to self improvement and understand things that are bothering you. You might feel kinda silly writing about your feelings, but it can be in many forms. Journaling, therapy, talking to your friends, or just jotting down things here and there. I started keeping a journal in July last year, I stopped for a while in October and November, but that was because I was too busy and admittedly, too depressed. I think that, for me, it was a mistake and I should have continued because it would have helped my pinpoint the things that were stressing me out.
- SMILE – This sounds really stupid and something you’d see on a tumblr quote, but smiling reduces anxiety and depression due to it releasing endorphins, which is a chemical that the brain releases, causing you to feel less stressed, less anxious and depressed, therefore motivating you and making you feel happier.
- MAKE THE MOST OF EVERY OPPORTUNITY AND HAVE SOMETHING TO REMEMBER – You want 2017 to be your year? I’m guessing you do seeing as you’ve read this far. Have something to remember! On December 31st 2017, you can’t look back on it and say, “Wow, this was SO GOOD!” when there was nothing really good to remember. Spend time with friends, enjoy yourself, take opportunities, strive to achieve, have something to remember! This year, I’m aiming to fill a whole album with things I’ve done this year with my friends and family. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people, it can land in some pretty cool situations. Take pictures, laugh with friends, just do it!
- BUT DON’T BE AFRAID OF HAVING ALONE TIME – Although spending time with people can be fun, it can also be exhausting. I’m an extraverted introvert (one of the common ways for an INFJ like me to be described, but that’s a story for another day) so I enjoy company but in small doses. I love hanging out with my best friend, we talk every day near enough, but when I’ large groups of people while I’m not in school, and they’re my friends but I don’t speak to them daily, I enjoy it but not too often. I like having time to rewind and just chill on my own with a hot chocolate (lotta cream, lotta marshmallows, lotta sprinkles) and a book. It really helps me recharge.
- TRY NOT TO WORK YOURSELF TOO HARD – I’m chronic for this and my best friend wants to kill me for it (YOU LOVE ME REALLY!) . I will constantly prioritise writing over things like eating and sleeping that I end up exhausted the next day. I have a bad sleep schedule anyway with broken sleep and not being able to sleep for hours on end and writing will wake up my mind more. So starting this year, I’m slowly developing a routine and a plan by spreading out my workloads and giving myself time to rest too.
- TRY NOT TO PROCRASTINATE – Easier said than done, I know, but as soon as you take control of procrastination rather than the other way around, you’ll be so ,much more organised and have so much more time for productivity. If you’re writing an essay, of for example, six pages, take a small break in between each page to reward yourself, or one longer break when you’re halfway done.
- UPDATE YOUR CARRIER SETTINGS ON YOUR PHONE – Seriously… just do it.
That’s all I have for you today! If you think I missed any please let me know.
What are you going to do to make 2017 your year?
Little Darling Daydreamer xoxo